Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ode to a 5k

Oh, you treacherous fiend.
You seducer of fools,
with your promises of water bottles, t-shirts
and prizes that you must be present to win.
How did you do it to me again?
You cajoled, courted and wooed me, and I submitted.
I paid you for pain.
Surely there will be a day of reckoning for these abominations.
Today is that day.
Heart pumping, feet pounding.
I don't think I can do this.
I want to stop.
And I've only been running for three minutes.

Yes, on Saturday I decided to run the University Place 5k. It was a beautiful day for a run! I didn't realize until after the race that I hadn't actually run that far since before I was pregnant with Emme! But I did all right.
 I missed having you guys there so much!! Meggie, do you remember when we convinced you to run with us the night before a race? That was so fun though, running together, even if we weren't actually together during the running!
Anyway, considering that I have been doing no running at all lately, the race was great. I think I got 5th or 6th in the women. I think there were maybe 9 or 10 women running. :) Danny brought the kids and it was really fun to finish and have the kids come running up to hug me, yelling, "You did it Mommy! You won!!" They are my best fan club. Then there were pancakes for everyone and prizes, where I won a Famous Dave's t-shirt that I will save for Danny's birthday. (I actually had that on my list of birthday ideas for him, so that was pretty cool! )
I hate the first three minutes of the run, when you are sure you won't be able to finish, because you have used all of you energy worrying about whether or not you will be able to finish!
 Lisa Burt was there and that was fun to run next to her. She was actually running the route twice because she had to get in 6 miles that day. Crazy girl! She kept talking the whole time, whereas I thought maybe I would die if tried to say hello.
I wish I had pictures, but just imagine me all sweaty and icky and you've about got it. For a better mental image, Alaina wore my running number on her shirt the rest of the day everywhere we went. She thought that made her really cool.
So, all in all, it was fun to see how I did and the kids had fun and I got a t-shirt! I can think of worse ways to spend $25. Of course, I can also think of better ways, too!

4 comments:

Club Jolley said...

Dallin always wonders why we would PAY $25 just to inflict pain on ourselves, he thinks we should just run around the neighborhood until we feel like dying and then save the money! :) I have to say, it's silly that they charge soo much money just for running. But that's so neat that you did it, and that you won a shirt for Danny. Go Millie!
I was actually going to run a 5k race in Rexburg on that same day, but then Hunter slept in until 15 minutes before the race began so it didn't happen, and frankly I was relieved. :) I need to get some of your motivation. Will I ever be as motivated to exercise as you? Hmm... I don't know...

Emme said...

wowzers! good for you! that's awesome that you were able to do that and that you're so in shape. i used to jog but it's been too hot in el paso lately. i started up again and it's so hard to get back in the rhythm of it!

MegJill said...

I'm glad you did the 5k! If only because then you know you can and are still running them. And the t-shirt you won was on your list for Danny so there is an even bigger bonus!
Yes, I remember the "run" you guys convinced me to do the night before! SOooo glad you did, but really I mainly walked the whole way because I was going to DIE! I don't like learning to run. It hurts and I can't breath or keep my bum from sticking out. Why do we do that when we run sometimes? Maybe it's a balance thing. Or maybe no one else does that. Hmmmm.

Noodle said...

How cool that you were able to race and have your fan club meet you at the finish line! They will always remember that.