Yes, we are having our own little party here in Idaho. Actually, once we got over the actual being sick part, and it's only been me and Alex so far, this whole self-quarantine, don't go out in public, cancel all your meetings thing is pretty okay. We're a little stir-crazy at times, and I don't want to know how many movies the kids have watched, but it's really nice to be freed from some of your responsibilities and appts. and things without feeling guilty. The last time I left the house was on Thursday to go to the doctor, and that is the only place I have been since last Tuesday. Literally. As I have started feeling better, I have complained to Danny that I want to be sick again because it is so nice for a change to not have to worry about anything except staying alive! As soon as I feel better, I start feeling this pressure to get lots of "things"done and be all productive, but I am fighting it.
Yesterday we made a fire and brownies and resisted eating the rest of them until 11 this morning, which I thought was pretty good. We've played Candy Land with the kids and Danny and I have been playing Scrabble. We found out we're not that good, but at least we're evenly matched!! Every other minute finds one of us banging our fist on the table saying, "If only I had this one letter!!" See, the problem with Scrabble is that even though you can think of nice, big long words, you never have the letters for them. So you have to know lots of weird short words, like "zareba", which is a small enclosure made out of bushes in Northern Africa. I did make a word that was worth 75 points- it was "quotes" with the "q" on a double letter square and the whole word on a triple word play. Definitely the highlight of my week!! And several times we have nearly spelt out swear words in desperation, but have always been able to put something else down. (But not until after we told the other one what we were thinking of using.)
Alex has been watching Oklahoma a lot and really likes "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin' " and has started singing it around the house in his best Gordon McRae-like voice. I love it, but Danny can't stand listening to the same parts on the tv anymore, so he gave Alex headphones so that he can watch the tv but we can't hear. Now we just have to get Alex to understand not to use the headphones when other people want to watch something.
I've started reading Catching Fire and wish that when I was sicker and just in bed I had felt like reading then!
Other than that, we're just laying around, kind of enjoying being left alone by the world. Having something contagious is the next best thing to moving out in the woods by yourself. We're thinking about catching ebola next!
4 comments:
I loved hearing about all of the fun things you're doing now with all of this free time! Your scrabble games, and Alex's singing Oklahoma songs around the house, those sound so fun. See, this is how life would be if we could just resist the urge to feel pressured into doing everything in the world. Isn't it wonderful to feel like you can say NO to some activities, and you don't feel obligated to go everywhere and do everything?! I am thinking maybe this whole swine flu thing is really a blessing in disguise, as long as no one else gets sick with it. :) PLUS, this is the first time you've ever written twice within one week, and I love it!
Yeah, haley is right. If this flu is what gets you to write more often then you should keep it! Especially since we don't have to avoid you, being across the country and all. What if we could get sicknesses through the computer? Like, if I read your post you wrote when you had Swine Flu then I could get it! Wouldn't that be awful?! Let's be glad God didn't make our world THAT contagious!
We haven't played Scrabble in YEARS even though we have it. We did play Candy land last weekend when Savannah and Maggie were here and we also played Enchanted Forest.
Call me when you finish Catching Fire! i want to talk about it! Brooks and I both finished last night.
Somebody pinch me! Melinda posted two times!!
When you wrote that Alex is singing that song, I thought you were going to say that he's singing it, "Oh What a Beautiful Mormon!"
Megan, it was so funny in your comment - "when you finish Catching Fire!" That sounds like a slow reaction to an emergency!
Also, in terms of catching Swine Flu over the Internet, haven't you heard of computer viruses?
Okay, that was really obvious, but I couldn't resist. :)
Melinda, you sound like you are joining the overly-laid-back crowd - like me! My blogs always sound like I'm mostly reading in the sun or playing around or fishing or watching movies.
And I am!
Wonderful post, Melinda. Please do be sure and take it easy, though! lol
I like how you make being sick sound like the best thing ever. You even make swine flu not seem like a big deal everyone is making it out to be! Love that you gave Alex headphones to watch the movie. And I'm glad you are starting to feel better!
Post a Comment